Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

It's been quite a while since I've posted. I can't believe how crazy things are with 4 little ones! However, today was my first Mother's Day with Ashenafi in my arms, so it truly was a day for rejoicing! I am so honored that God chose our family for this sweet, sweet little boy. He is more than I could have hoped for...such a wonderful addition to our brimming household! He will be 8 months old this Wednesday and is beginning to eat baby food, cheerios, and biter biscuits. He is coming along well with sitting up unassisted and loves to roll around until he moves quite a ways from his initial starting point. In fact, I've found the hard way that I can't leave him on my bed anymore...ouch! But, he survived the fall, and I've learned that he now scoots backward to get to what he wants : )

Sorry for the lack of postings and pictures. Since I've been home from Ethiopia (10 weeks ago now!) I have been dealing with mono. I did not initially know what was wrong; I was just extremely tired, to which I attributed having an infant that didn't sleep and jet lag from our trip. Then, I got really sick. I thought it was just a simple infection, but the antibiotics didn't help. But, I started feeling better and was just still really tired. Again, I figured it was just dealing with the new addtion and the 20-pound infant I was holding all the time. Then I got really sick again and realized I had been running a low-grade fever for several weeks. I decided it was time to go to the doctor. They, of course, wanted to test me for several things, especially since I'd been in Africa recently. But, they did not do a test for mono. When everything came back negative, I was already feeling better and decided to forego more tests. It was then that I noticed my 8-year old son's glands were huge and he was not presenting with any symptoms, so I took him to the doctor. They immediately did a swab for mono and it came back positive. So, I am sure that is what I was dealing with. But, all is well and I am so much better now. I might actually start uploading photos... : )

11 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Deedra,
so sorry to hear you've been sick....but just think how much easier parenting 4 kids will be when you're HEALTHY!!!

Amanda said...

I'm glad to see you posting again and not glad to know you have/had mono! Oy.

I hope you begin to recover soon (get rest!) and I look forward to hearing stories and seeing pics.

Jill said...

OOOOOHHH!! I got mono about 6 weeks after getting home from Ethiopia too. The virus that causes it supposedly is very prevalent in developing countries. They didn't find mine until they starting checking me for malaria. (Thank goodness it wasn't that!!).

Knowing just how horrible I felt, I can't imagine how you survived with 4 little ones to care for. I couldn't hardly take care of one. You are super-woman!!!

Glad you are feeling better.

Christina said...

FOUR little ones....you are so my hero....

If anyone deserved a great mothers day it was you!!!

Great seeing you the other day!!!

Bergmama said...

Oh my goodness- I hope you are feeling 100% now!!! My friend at work has been battling mono. She missed several weeks and now she's only teaching half days because she's just so tired all the time. I'm glad you got an answer to what was wrong, though! :)

gigglechirp said...

good wishes and hope you are all well soon! and yes, we all look forward to pictures when you are rested and have the chance!

Jane said...

Deedra,

It's been wonderful to follow your story the last few months. I'm so happy for you and your family and can't wait to see more photos of that precious boy.

Jane (Sowell) Brummett

Mom to many said...

Hope you are healthy again. Great to see some pictures of those kiddos. Way cute.

Annie said...

So sorry to hear that you were sick. Hope your 8 year old son is feeling better too. Hope it was a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Annie

Stacie said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you're feeling better - it was so scary when we learned Jill had it (but thankfully not malaria) and I kept thinking how is she dealing with Mari while being so sick? AND YOU HAVE 4! Wow Deedra! You are excused for not posting lately. :)

LISA said...

Ahhh, Deedra,sorry you and your son have been sick. I hope ya'll have your energy back now.I can't imagine being that sick.Anyway,now you'll have to make up with pictures! :)